13 December 2003

Dr Tomas Farthing, Bishop of Cork, pt 4

Sent to Fr Teddy O'Sullivan, Diocesan Secretary of the Diocese of Cork and Ross,

Greetings, Father! I'm a bit confused, and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction.

Once upon a time (1999 & 2000), there was a fellow who went by the name of Tom Farthing subscribed to a mailing list that I'm also subscribed to. He was obviously Catholic, and obviously a priest; it came to pass that the list moderator determined that Tom was also a (retired?) bishop.

Tom Farthing's last post to the list was 5 October 2000. On 19 October 2000, the list moderator posted an article from The Irish Times (I can't determine when the article appeared in The Times) about "Ballinspittle's "wobbling statue"". The final paragraph of the article contains the following quote:

> Asked about the church's view on the statue, a Cork and Ross
> diocesan spokesman said that in 1985, the late Bishop of Cork,
> Dr Tomas Farthing, had urged people to approach the claims
> about Ballinspittle "with prudence and caution". The church's
> position had not changed since then, the spokesman said.

On the Diocese's Web site, I couldn't find any reference to Dr Farthing. Needless to say, I'm not sure what to think.

I throw myself on your mercy and superior knowledge in such things, and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Slán,



Mo! (Hanrahan) Langdon

No comments: